Sunday 29 June 2014

Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch

Ethan Burke arrives in the town of Wayward Pines but things aren't quite as they should be.  He tries to get out, to contact his family, to go home, but the town doesn't want him to leave.

I definitely found this to be un-put-downable as I read it in one day after a friend recommended the series.   I won't say it is high fiction, but it is definitely fast-paced and I wanted to know what happened next and next and next.  I agree with some reviewers where they say Burke should spend a bit of time resting as he seems to have super human recovery powers as he gets beat up and then keeps going with all his injuries.  Even I was feeling exhausted for him.

This has been compared to Twin Peaks, Lost, Walking Dead, but I didn't get those vibes.  I was imagining it more like (the TV series) setting of Under The Dome.  Being British, I only know "small town rural America settings" from TV series, but the town was quite fleshed out in this story.

In summary, I enjoyed this, even with its flaws and will read book 2 after having a rest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FG9LIE/?tag=jookuf-21


No comments:

Post a Comment