Wednesday 15 January 2014

Vagabond Sky by Mark David Welsh

Wow, what a corker of an epic quest.  Conner, an IT consultant from East Anglia, is running a bar in some strange world of dwarves and elves and no sanitary facilities.  We don't know why or how he is there.  He goes off on a quest with his mate Prince Hieronymus just because he feels like going on holiday.  Of course, it's not going to be a picnic.

What can I say, I loved this book.  It's gently comedic with some laugh out loud moments.  We get hints as to Connor's past.  The book is told in first person POV in short chapters.  With most of them ending on mini cliffhangers and the chapter titles announcing what's going to happen, such as "Chapter 18, It was a Time for Heroes. Unfortunately, I was there too" this felt like Saturday morning episodic television.  I kept thinking "just one more chapter".  I had the time left in chapter mode switched on on my paperwhite, just so I could see how many minutes each one was and thinking "only 3 minutes, I'll read one more"

This is a big chunk of a book, over 400 pages and it didn't seem a chore.  Each adventure the gang had followed on nicely.  The characters were well rounded, even the lesser ones.

This is definitely my favourite book this year so far :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HKGNA72/?tag=jookuf-21


No comments:

Post a Comment