Sunday 25 November 2012

This Thirtysomething Life by Jon Rance

This book seems to have taken ebook-land by storm.  It's towards the top in the paid charts and  when it was free it was very popular too.  Loads of my kindle forum mates were raving on about it, how it was the funniest book they've read in a while and it was the KUF bookclub choice for November. 

The book is Harry's diary from January, through his tribulations throughout the year and his indiscretions.

Basically, I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more if I hadn't been aware of the hype.  I'm not saying it's a bad book, just - in my opinion - not as fantastic as lots of people made it out to be.

I didn't take to the main characters most of the time.  I enjoyed Harry's musings in the shed, especially in regards to what the squirrels were getting up to.  I certainly didn't like his and Jamie's relationship.  Harry's wife Emily was just a nagging miserable woman.  Harry's granddad was a great character.  

As I mentioned, I was looking for some marvellous musings and writings and I didn't find that in this book.  But it was an enjoyable read for all my complaints.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B1SWVQQ/?tag=jookuf-21


No comments:

Post a Comment