Wednesday 31 October 2012

Interrogating Bryan Thomas


My next interrogatee is a bit of a Scribbler


How do you strike the balance between writing something you want to write and writing something that people want to read, in terms of the compromises you make, if any?

Saywhat? I thought that you would be asking me what my favourite colour is, who's my favourite pop star and such. If I roll over and play dead do I get to ignore that one? Nope, still haven't got a clue what it means... next question!


What excites, attracts or appeals to you about the genre(s) you write in.

Next!


Do you have a box, drawer, folder etc where you keep thoughts and ideas for future stories? Such as names you have come across, bits of dialogue, ideas, characters - even if you have no idea when you might use them?

Initially, my first story idea was written on an A4 pad. I would write for an hour or more each evening and when the story was taking some kind of shape I would then transfer it to a Word document on my computer which would become a rough first draft. If I get ideas for characters, dialogue etc., when I'm just doing general everyday things I try to write them down on bits of A5 paper before I forget them.


How do you manage plot bunnies (ideas that invade your mind that aren't usually helpful to the story you're writing but breed like...er...bunnies)?

I look upon plot bunnies as furry little friends, popping up out of their little holes and running amok with ideas both good and not so good. Sometimes they are unmanageable but other times quite self-controlled. I wish I had more of them as their visits are infrequent.


How much of you is in your characters? Which of your characters is the you that you'd most like to be? Or be with ?

Until I started writing adult humourous fiction I don't think that any of me was in my characters. Now I might take certain aspects (quirks) or interests that I have and tweak them for a particular character. I wouldn't particularly want to be any of my characters apart from the rich Lotto millionaire, but I haven't written that one as yet.


What type of book do you like reading? Is it the same genre as you write?

I'm not a great reader, I read a fair bit when I was younger and then I discovered Heavy Metal/Rock music. Part of my pact with Satan was to stop reading novels, so I did just that.


What lengths do you go to to convince us readers that your book has the X factor?

I don't try to convince readers that my scribblings may have any factor from A-Z. I'm the worst self-promoter ever. If people are curious and take the time to read one of my short stories, of course, that's brilliant. If they enjoy the story then you can multiply brilliant by a hundred. I'm a low-profile person and a low-profile indie.


How do you feel when a reader points out the spelling mistake(s) you have made?

That happened to me on the KUF forum! Although it wasn't spelling mistakes as I'm a grate spellar. Another author (who shall remain nameless) pointed out to me that my dialogue for different characters should always begin on a new line. I genuinely didn't know that was the rule and I had to re-format all of my stories. But I am eternally grateful to the lady who pointed it out to me.


What do you like most about visiting KUF/forums?

Joining KUF was a bit daunting, it's chock-full of very talented writers and as an unknown there's always a little thought in my head that somebody might just say: Hey! You don't belong here. Thankfully that hasn't happened (yet) but KUF is such a friendly place with a great 'vibe' to it. People are very willing to help out and they give good advice about any aspects of being an indie author that you care to mention. The other authors have a great deal of experience and they tend to the noobs like the little lambs that we are/were.


What is on your near horizon?

Nothing good.


Where can we find you for more information?

Did I mention that I am low-profile? I'm on Goodreads and that's only because Rosen (Trevithick) said, 'Hey, maggot, I can't find you on Goodreads'. Other than that I think that is about it.

2 comments: