Monday 26 March 2012

Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband by Darren Humphries

Darren's usual genre is surreal sci-fi parallel universe type of thing, full of humour and madness.  I have read 2 of his books and they make me smile and giggle.  This one made my sob my eyes out.

The simple summary for this book is that it's his diary of his life after his wife died suddenly and unexpectedly at a heartbreakingly early 39 years old, leaving him with his two children, an 8 year old boy and 16 month old girl.

This is no heartstrings pulled sentimental tale.  It's just life as Darren came to know it.  Yes, I cried my eyes out at points, but I'm like that at sad scenes on the telly.  It's not really a how-to book on how to cope either.

People on the forums have been saying "I can't read it, I'll cry".  Well I say "just read it and cry"  Set aside some "me time", tell your family that you are going to look ugly for a bit with blotched cheeks and puffy eyes and get on with it.  It's not a mammoth read, but is well worth reading, even if all you get out of it is an appointment to sort out your will or life insurance. 

We all die, we all leave someone behind.  If you die first, how will your family cope?  If your family dies first, how will you cope?  Read this book and see how Darren coped.  It may help you in the future.

But don't think this book is all sadness and tears.  There are happy moments and Darren is a fantastic writer who has invited you along his personal journey.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OMTFAI/

No comments:

Post a Comment