Friday 17 February 2012

That Bear Ate My Pants! Adventures of a Real Idiot Abroad by Tony James Slater

I have never been so disappointed to finish a book.  I just wanted the stories to go on and on and on and on, but unfortunately Tony's trip had to end and so did the book.

First off, I will comment on his bad spelling of buses and metres.  But only because there's quite a few of them in the first few chapters and it did make me think that the quality might be as bad all the way through, but it isn't.  Once he gets off the bus and has travelled however many metres to his home away from home, it's all good.  In fact it's better than good.  Tony is a fantastic storyteller with some fantastic stories to tell.  Hopefully these typos will be fixed soon and you won't notice any. [Edited to say the typos have been corrected, so if you have an old version, request an updated one from Amazon]

I kind of wished the book had photos.  The chapter where he meets the kinkajou and also the three- toed sloth really needed pictures, although I could well image them (once I'd looked up what a kinkajou was).

The book is set up in short chapters.  That made it easy for picking up when you have a few minutes.  But it made it hard to put down as you want to read "just one more chapter", "ok, just one more".

I know it's only February, but this is the best book so far this year and if I'd read it in December it would have been the best book in 2011.  If you picked it up as a freebie, jump it to the top of your TBR list.  It's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment